Homemade BBQ Burger
6th July 2021
Homemade BBQ burger
Are there two words more exciting than ‘Summer BBQ’? You may well think that there are, but we’re sure that the combination of these two little words bring a sense of excitement and summer nostalgia to mind. The thought of open flames, family gatherings and possibly even the odd burnt sausage! The feeling is hard to beat, but maybe not the burnt sausage…
Our collective love for a Great British BBQ has even resulted in the creation of ‘National BBQ Week’, a whole week set up to honour the humble BBQ! This year the festivities will be running between the 5th – 18th July - a two week extended edition to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of National BBQ Week!
To help you get into the seasonal spirit we’ve asked Alex, our Head Chef for his favourite burger recipe to impress friends and family this summer!
- 1kg beef chuck
- 100g bone marrow (out of the bone)
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp onion powder
- 1tsp paprika
- ½tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the bone marrow in water to soften for around 15-20 minutes and then scoop the bone marrow out from the bone.
- Set up your meat grinder or food processor then grind the bone marrow and beef chuck together so it's nicely combined. If you're using a food processor you may need to do this stage in small batches and aim to coarsely blend the mixture.
- Add all of the spices apart from the salt and pepper and mix again until fully incorporated.
- Season the mixture to taste.
- You can check the seasoning by cooking a small amount on the stove to taste.
- Roll 180g from the mixture and press into a ring, or for a burger press into patties.
- Wrap the patties in cling film and allow to rest before cooking.
- Bring your BBQ to a medium/high temperature and cook for 5 mins on each side, check that your burgers are fully cooked before consuming.
Alex has also shared with us some of his favourite burger toppings for you to try!
The Classic - cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, gherkins, ketchup & mayo.
The American BBQ - pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, BBQ sauce & crispy onions.
The Black & Blue - lettuce, tomato, blue cheese & a roasted flat mushroom.
Read more on our blog
Keep up to date with everything going on at our restaurant.